Computer Science & Engineering, U.Conn
Course Announcement & Description
Contents of CSE 300 Home Page
Meetings: Wednesday 3:30-5:30 PM, UTEB 370
Instructor: Prof. Dina Q Goldin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Office: UTEB 368
Office Hours: TuTh 3-4 PM
Course Web Page: http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~dqg/cse300
Course Description: click here.
List of Assigned Readings
1. Wegner, P., Why interaction is more powerful than algorithms, CACM Vol. 40, No. 5.
1. Simon, H. A., The Sciences of the Artificial, 3rd edition, The MIT Press, Oct. 1996.
2. Moore, E. M., Gedanken-Experiments on Sequential Machines, in McCarthy, J. and Shannon, C. E. eds, Automata Studies, Princeton University Press, Dec. 1956.
1. Goldin, D., Persistent Turing Machines as a Model of Interactive Computation,
in: K-D. Schewe and B. Thalheim (Eds.), Foundations of information and knowledge systems, First Int'l Symposium (FoIKS'2000). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1762, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2000, pp. 116-135.
2. Goldin, D., Smolka, S. A., Wegner, P., Turing Machines, Transition Systems, and Interaction, 8th Int'l Workshop on Expressiveness in Concurrency, Aarlborg, Denmark, August 2001.
Neumann, J. V., Natural and Artificial Automata, in Aspray, W., Burks, A. W. eds, Papers of John Von Neuman on Computers and Computer Theory, Vol. 12, MIT Press, October 1986.
Neumann, J. V., The General and Logical Theory of Automata, in Aspray, W., Burks, A. W. eds, Papers of John Von Neuman on Computers and Computer Theory, Vol. 12, MIT Press, October 1986.
1. Milner, R., Elements of interaction: Turing award lecture, CACM Vol. 36, No. 1.
2. An interview with Robin Milner, CACM Vol. 36 No. 1.
1. Gurevich, Y., Sequential Abstract State Machines Capture Sequential Algorithms, ACM Transactions on Computational Logic, Vol. 1, No. 1.
2. Börger, E., and Glässer U., Modelling and Analysis of Distributed and Reactive Systems using Evolving Algebras.
Other links will be added here throughout the semester.
Accessing this page from your home PC
Some files will be available in Postscript format only. If you want to view and print Postscript files at home, you need Ghostscript and Ghostview. You can get them by clicking here:
This page last updated on 2/26/03.