CSE Welcomes New Faculty
Dr. Alexander Schwarzmann is pleased to announce the addition of 5 new faculty to the departments growing list of accomplished scholars.
- Dr. Amir Herzberg joins the department as a Full Professor and the Comcast Chair for Security Innovation. Amir was most recently at Bar Ilan University in Israel, where he was a full professor. Dr. Herzberg is internationally renowned for his research in network cyber-security, applied cryptography, and software security. He earned his D.Sc. in 1991 in Computer Science from the Technion. His previous professional endeavors included management of Network Security group and E-Business and Security Technologies at IBM Research (T.J.Watson and Haifa respectively).
- Dr. Joseph Johnson joins the department as an Associate Professor in-Residence and Associate Director of Undergraduate Programs in Computing. Dr. Johnson came to us from Three Rivers Community College, where he was an associate professor and coordinator of the computer science program. He earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science in 2016 from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York. He is also a UConn alumnus, having earned his B.S. in Actuarial Science in 1991. Dr. Johnson’s research is in artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science, and natural language processing.
- Dr. Augusto Casas joins the department as an Associate Professor in-Residence at the Stamford Campus. Dr. Casas came to us from Berkeley College in New York, where he was a professor of information technology management. He earned his Ph.D. in 2002 in Information Systems from Nova Southeastern University in Florida. He is also an alumnus, having earned his MBA in 1992 from UConn. Dr. Casas’ research interests are in applications of computational intelligence to solving investment management problems.
- Dr. Walter Krawec joins the department as an Assistant Professor. Dr. Krawec came to us from Iona College, where he was an assistant professor of computer science. He earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science in 2015 from Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey. His research is in quantum cryptography and he has also been involved in research projects involving classical computer security and network security.
- Dr. Fei Miao joins CSE as an Assistant Professor with a joint appointment in ECE. She came to us from University of Pennsylvania, where she was a post-doctoral researcher in a robotics, automation, sensing, and perception lab. Dr. Miao earned her Ph.D. in Electrical and Systems Engineering in 2016 from UPenn. Her research is in cyber-physical systems and intelligent autonomous systems with the focus on safety, efficiency, and security.